Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ashes on Wednesday


I celebrated Ash Wednesday today for the first time in my life. This is not a typical Adventist tradition, and being the good little Adventist boy that I am (ok, so I'm snarky in the morning - gimme a break), I had my concerns and questions about the service. I really won't dig into that right now - I don't think it's important for this. I attended the service this morning at the Purple Church and was really touched. I was not convinced to participate in the imposition of ashes until the moment of - and I felt moved to take part in that symbol.

I can't speak for other Ash Wednesday services, but I feel that Ryan and Scott designed a service that pushed me to rededicate myself to service and God, that reminded me that I am in need of confession, and that God still has a ridiculous amount of work to do on me. A celebration of fasting and a recognition of the journey which we are on - what could be better for a melancholy like me, eh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For years I have seen "Ash Wednesday" printed in tiny letters in the corner of one square of my calendar's February page, but have never known what it was. Blame my historical illiteracy or something. This morning my eyes kept grazing those letters, wondering what significance I was missing out on on this otherwise ordinary school day.

And now I know. Thanks.