Thursday, January 18, 2007

I Wish

I wish, sometimes, that I lived in the 60s. It's not the music, the technology (or lack thereof), or the free-love that attract me, it's the importance politics and social issues seemed to have in young people's lives.

Maybe it's just the golden sheen 40 years will place on an era, but compared to now, people seemed to be genuinely interested in politics and the shaping of the world. Now those of us who will rule the world grow apathetic under the constant lurid whispers of reality tv and a media even further enveloped by industry. Maybe it was like that back then...but when I watch McGovern's young operatives hurl themselves in the face of the establishment or see the young members of the Weather Underground struggle against what they felt was a hegemonic juggernaut, I have to wonder.

I have always had a fascination with the Black Panther Party. Given the opportunity, I wonder if I would have been part of that movement. I think it's quite possible. Young brothers and sisters caught up in trying to bring real change to the world. And they were young, and full of life and dreams. They were going to pull an entire race up to face the American Empire. I think I would have liked to be part of those dreams, back when hip hop stood for something*.

Maybe I just went to the wrong university; and sure, we were a pretty apathetic student body and there are those out there still dreaming their dreams; but I'd like to think it was different. A time when the smell of change like the tantalizing promise of spring was just around the corner. What happened to us? I wish...

*Disclaimer: I understand this is a vague statement and certainly doesn't reflect my feelings about the entire hip-hop genre. There certainly are artists who are creating meaningful music including, but not limited to Lupe Fiasco, Sweatshop Union, Saul Williams, Kanye West, and even Ludacris. Here's hoping that more follow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a blog but I don't anymore becuase I moved it myspace but I kept my blogger account so I could comment on friends blogs. In case you don't know who this is it is Rebecca (SAU film). I am glad you have a blog, so we can see what you are up to.

Anonymous said...

hmmm, maybe you should make a movie about such things that fascinate you so.