Monday, January 15, 2007

Lessons Forgotten and Relearned

There's a person buried deep in my subconscious, a person I try to forget exists, but every once in a while, when the dark stars align, he stalks the internet in my body. This being is not really evil; he just happens to know a little too much for his good and be immature enough to be combative about his beliefs. Don't argue politics or religion, and especially not when one is using the little devil box we like to call an instant messenger.

Also, when it comes to politics, don't assume you know someone's position unless they clearly state it. This way lies disaster. Really, trust me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always forget that lesson especially when I've had a few glasses of wine. It seems the more wine I have, the more I know about politics and religion-I could be a Whitehouse spokesman or some guru even.

On a more serious note, I know what you mean. I just don't like using the "little devil box"...I only use it to talk to people I cannot otherwise stay in touch with; many of my friends are literally scattered across the globe. Not only is it confusing to try and guage how the other person is reacting (since most of communication is body language), it also feels too surreal. After I'm done with a session of IM I feel like I haven't even really talked to that person. In fact, I've had a few friends call me up just days after we've chatted on IM. The phone conversation ends up with me rehashing all of the same things I already told them on IM, just to make sure the conversations I'd had with them on MSN were real.

Does anyone else feel like this? Like you're really not talking to anyone, but maybe some puppet avatar? Scares me sometimes actually.--Eric