Monday, April 30, 2007

Distractions


*If you've ever played Simcity, you'll remember Arcologies, the massive buildings in which a person could happily live their entire lives without ever leaving (why? I have no clue). Paolo Soleri's concept of a city within a city, buildings which could house everything essential for a fulfilling life, has been realized in Vienna. Four massive gas tanks in the Simmering District have been transformed into full-fledged communities. Check out Vienna's Gasometers.

*The Village Voice covers a play called Church, the call of a modern day "Jeremiah" to her hipster brothers and sisters. Young-Jean Lee is an atheist who questioned her parents Christian views and is now in turn, questioning the views of "her fellow unbelievers."

*Ladies, want to get away? China may have the perfect solution, a town in which women make the rules and men get punished for disobedience.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was actually thinking about that the other day when I read about the fire in MBK and the 7000 people who had to be evacuated. 7000 people, I thought, all in a single building. That's like an entire city.

And then I went on to think about if that was actually possible, and about how much that would suck to live in if it was. Seems this thought's been taken a step further though. I can't even live my life on a single continent, let alone in a single building.

Leslie Foster said...

There was a fire at MBK? I've always thought that that would be the absolute worst place to have a fire. So mazelike...