Tuesday, May 1, 2007

To Inform, With Delight


Although I savor moments of silence and solitude, people who know me also know that I have a tendency to rattle on...and on...and on some special days...on. It's not exactly Logorrhoea, but it's close enough to be considered a mild case.
A person featured on This American Life (episode #326 Quiz Show) put it quite well. He had an epiphany, one day at work, and realized--after a slightly rambling monologue about the difference between apes and monkeys--that he was informing people against their will (Sit down. Shut up. Learn. might serve nicely as an unofficial motto. No? Sleep on it.). I think people like us tend to come off as a bit arrogant sometimes or even belittle people, I certainly have, who don't catch our references but I don't think most of us mean to. So my sincerest apologies to those caught unwillingly in the information barrage and the subsequent, "Come on, how can you not know that?"'s.
Most of us really don't mean to cause harm or suicide due to extreme irritation. Now shut up and listen to me.

No comments: