Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Logic, My Blessing, My Bane


Yet another This American Life episode (#188 Kid Logic, for those keeping track) has gifted me with a small epiphany. The episode deals with how kids, through perfect logic come up with answers that are utterly wrong. Like the crew of This American Life apparently, I love stories of this nature. I started thinking about how logical I was as a kid, and all the wrong answers I came up with using perfectly logical steps. As I reminisced I stumbled across a thought. Is this the way it is between with us and God (or the universe/nature for those of you who prefer your existence un-deified)? Are we operating through pure logic, coming up smugly with answers we are sure are correct (I mean, we used perfect logic to come to these conclusions) but coming up with absolutely wrong answers, because like these kids, we just don't have the right information to process this stuff?
Just a thought.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't you hate that, when truth doesn't make sense and what makes sense isn't true.

Pretty picture. Partly because it's purple. (How's that for alliteration..) Could be seen as more than just an early universe though. Could be a chemical reaction, an exploding Kleenex... Where do you find all these?

Leslie Foster said...

Google Image Search...and way more time than it's worth.