Saturday, May 12, 2007

So a Fish Walks Into...

I was wandering a bit aimlessly around Mission College when I saw a dark shape jauntily crossing the road. I blinked a few times before I registered what I was seeing. A fish as large as my hand was bouncing across the road using its fins. It must left the pond on one side of the road to migrate to the larger pond across the way.
I resisted the urge to save it the trouble by tossing it into the pond and instead stood still, watching. It reached the other side of the pavement and began wriggling through the grass. It would move several inches, then stop and rest, then move again. I watched for twenty minutes, ignoring the mosquitoes who seemed to have an odd fascination with my head, as the fish disappeared into the long grass. After a while, I could only see where it was by the brief, violent jittering of grass blades. The wind blew the blades gently, but there was no mistaking where the fish was.
I was tempted to leave a few times, but never moved, staring down the incline. The fish finally reached the edge of the shore, and with a tiny push, slipped into the water, leaving only gentle rings on the water's skin to show where it had entered.

No comments: